The move arrives after back in February, Judge Mark Warby of the High Court in London ordered The Mail on Sunday to couple the apology with a longer ‘notice’ inside the newspaper.
AceShowbiz –Meghan Markle has gained a major legal victory against the publishers of the Mail on Sunday. The Duchess of Sussex received a public apology from the British newspaper, which she previously sued for publishing excerpts of a private latter she wrote for her estranged dad, Thomas Markle, back in 2019.
On Sunday, December 26, the publication printed a front-page mea culpa to the Duchess. “The Duchess of Sussex wins her legal case for copyright infringement against Associated Newspapers for articles published in The Mail on Sunday and posted on Mail Online–see page 3,” it read.
In a box on the top left corner of the said page, it was featured a statement which read, “Following a hearing on 19-20 January 2021, and a further hearing on 5 May 2021, the Court has given judgment for The Duchess of Sussex on her claim for copyright infringement. The Court found that Associated Newspapers infringed her copyright by publishing extracts of her handwritten letter to her father in The Mail on Sunday and in Mail Online. Financial remedies have been agreed.” The publication also posted the same statement on the Mail Online website on Christmas Day.
The move arrived after back in February, Judge Mark Warby of the High Court in London ordered The Mail on Sunday to couple the apology with a longer “notice” inside the newspaper under the headline, “The Duchess of Sussex.” He also requires the publication to explicitly states that the court found “Associated Newspapers infringed her [Meghan’s] copyright by publishing extracts of her handwritten letter to her father in The Mail on Sunday and in Mail Online.”
Additionally, the Judge ordered that the apology appear on the homepage of MailOnline “for a period of one week” and include a hyperlink to the official judgment and summary under the wording, “The full judgment and the Court’s summary of it can be found here.”
Meghan was also rewarded with substantial financial damages from newspaper group Associated Newspapers Limited. The publisher group was required to cover Meghan’s legal expenses, which were estimated to total $1.88 million.
“This is a victory not just for me, but for anyone who has ever felt scared to stand up for what’s right. While this win is precedent setting, what matters most is that we are now collectively brave enough to reshape a tabloid industry that conditions people to be cruel, and profits from the lies and pain that they create,” the wife of Prince Harry said in a statement after the decision.
“From day one, I have treated this lawsuit as an important measure of right versus wrong. The defendant has treated it as a game with no rules. The longer they dragged it out, the more they could twist facts and manipulate the public (even during the appeal itself), making a straightforward case extraordinarily convoluted in order to generate more headlines and sell more newspapers–a model that rewards chaos above truth. In the nearly three years since this began, I have been patient in the face of deception, intimidation, and calculated attacks,” she continued.
The mom of two concluded, “The courts have held the defendant to account, and my hope is that we all begin to do the same. Because as far removed as it may seem from your personal life, it’s not. Tomorrow it could be you. These harmful practices don’t happen once in a blue moon–they are a daily fail that divide us, and we all deserve better.”
Source: Read Full Article