Daily Star TV gives you all the latest interviews and spoilers and Ed Gleave will send you telly’s hot takes straight to your inbox every Sunday
It's been crowned the UK’s most popular game show – but how much do you know about The Chase?
As we reported yesterday, the ITV teatime favourite is the best-loved quiz but also one of the hardest to win.
Here Daily Star steps up to the podium to reveal 12 secrets behind The Chase.
1. It takes around two hours to film an episode of The Chase, with Bradley filming three shows in one day.
2. The six chasers – Mark Labbett, Shaun Wallace, Anne Hegerty, Jenny Ryan, Paul Sinha and Darragh Ennis – are competitive but friends outside the show. They have a WhatsApp group and sit backstage when the others are playing for moral support.
3. Anne – “The Governess” – also revealed their ritual when one goes out for the final chase. She said: “We all put our hands in and go 'batter them!'"
4. Pre-fame, Anne was a proofreader while Mark was a maths teacher. Paul was a GP and still works as a stand-up comedian, Shaun is a criminal barrister, Jenny worked as a quiz show question writer and Darragh is also a neuroscientist and entomologist – someone who studies insects.
5. The teams genuinely do not know each other. They are also completely in the dark as to the identity of the chaser they are facing, as is Bradley.
6. Brad doesn’t see the questions beforehand and admits producers try to make him laugh with funny posers. He famously creased up uncontrollably over a question which asked: “In what sport does Fanny Chmelar compete for Germany?”
7. The chasers don’t come up with the offers for the contestants themselves – instead producers tell them what they can offer before they take their place at the desk.
8. The show uses an independent adjudicator called Beyond Dispute to monitor close final chases. They also clock the speed it takes for questions to be asked – Bradley takes an average of 3.6 seconds to ask a question for both team and chaser, disproving claims from some fans that he asks the chasers’ questions faster.
9. Statistically, the Governess is the hardest to beat. Research across 350 episodes found she had an incredible 82.4% win rate. Paul was the second toughest with a 82.3% success rate while Shaun is the easiest to overcome.
10. The fifth chaser to join the cast, Jenny “The Vixen” Ryan, was recommended for the show by Anne Hegerty – the two quiz together on Monday nights.
11. Mark “The Beast” Labbett has worked out five pushbacks is the key amount for a team to achieve if they want a good chance of victory. If facing a team who have scored five pushbacks, the Chaser has a 10% chance of winning. No Chaser has won after a team has achieved six pushbacks.
12. A Christmas special saw Shaun dressed up in a warm reindeer outfit and while viewers might have been laughing, The Dark Destroyer overheated to the point where staff had to cool him off with ice in towels.
The Chase continues weekdays 5pm on ITV. Beat the Chasers returns Saturday(sept 11) at 8.30pm.
For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here .
- The Chase
Source: Read Full Article