IT'S AN end of an era, and the news that Neighbours fans around the world hoped they would never hear.
After nearly 40 years on the box, the beloved Australian soap is coming to an end and will be leaving TV for good.
When is the last episode of Neighbours?
Neighbours has dominated our screens for almost four decades after kicking off back in 1985.
The much-loved soap has been pivotal in the careers of many A-list stars including Kylie Minogue, Guy Pearce, Liam Hemsworth and Margot Robbie.
The show currently airs on Network Ten in Australia, and Channel 5 here in the UK.
It was announced back in February 2022 that the long running soap had been cancelled.
Neighbours filmed its last scenes in June 2022.
The soap will air the final episode on July 29, 2022 at 9pm on Channel 5.
Read more on neighbours
Neighbours’ final scene revealed featuring Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan
Neighbours icons return to soap to film final episodes looking VERY different
Why has Neighbours been cancelled?
Neighbours has basically been cancelled because Channel 5 pulled out of broadcasting the soap.
In a statement on Twitter, the show's producers said financial issues stemming from "the loss of our key broadcast partner in the UK" Channel 5) in early 2022 contributed to the show's end.
Channel 5 announced in February 2022 it would be dropping Neighbours from its line-up, with the show's producers Fremantle Media unable to secure a replacement broadcaster.
It is understood the UK network contributed towards the majority of the show's production costs.
Most read in TV
Love Island's Jacques QUITS villa in shock move after getting back with Paige
Kim & Khloe Kardashian show off REAL bodies in unedited swimsuit snaps
Love Island's Faye Winter looks unrecognisable as she lands huge new job
Benefits Street's Dee Kelly unrecognisable as she joins fans for boozy night out
What has been said about Neighbours being cancelled?
A spokesperson from Fremantle Media said the response from fans had been immense.
"Everyone at Neighbours has been overwhelmed by the love and support from the audience since the news came out," they said.
"The show has brought a sunny slice of Australia into the homes of millions of viewers around the world, launching the careers of dozens of household names along way.
"But as this chapter of Ramsay Street comes to a close, we promise to do everything we can to give the show the send-off it deserves."
Which former Neighbours stars are returning for the final episode?
The show has spawned some superstar actors, many of whom returned to Ramsay Street to film the last episode.
The stars returning include:
- Hollywood legend Guy Pearce who rose to fame playing Mike Young in the Australian TV series.
- Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan have also recorded a scene to go in the last episod.
- Ian Smith – who played Harold Bishop – will delight fans with his return.
- Ramsay Street hunk Daniel MacPherson who played Joel Samuels for four years from 1998, will be in the last episode.
- Melissa Bell who played Scott and Paul Robinson’s little sister Lucy is back.
- Benjamin McNair, the Kennedy’s eldest son Mal makes her return.
Read More on The Sun
Ladbaby shares B&M buy that keeps you cold as you sleep during the heatwave
I’m a doctor – here’s why your pee should NEVER be clear and when to worry
- Lesley Baker who played Toadie Rebecchi’s mum will also be on the last episode
- Natalie Bassingthwaighte who played manipulative minx Izzy Hoyland, was at the centre of some of the soap’s biggest storylines in the 00s makes a comeback .
Source: Read Full Article